Harris Teeter - King George, VA
Harris Teeter wanted to expand its retail base into the Mid-Atlantic and needed to build a new cutting-edge grocery distribution center to serve the region.
Food Tech was selected to assist them with the project because of their expertise in logistics planning and material handling design. Using projected store zip codes and ton/mile equations, Food Tech performed a logistic analysis to determine a distribution centroid. Site selection services compared multiple properties with estimated development costs, and a business location study was conducted to determine incentives and labor availability before the King George, VA, location was selected.
The 650,000-square-foot facility is master site planned to better service Harris Teeter’s growing store base while minimizing transportation costs. It utilizes a state-of-the-art central ammonia refrigeration system featuring a refrigerated dock with 55 dock positions. The plant also houses a centrally located three-story operations office and employee amenities hub. Furthermore, the plant’s design includes a pedestrian bridge that separates employee and visitor auto traffic from truck traffic for increased safety and operational efficiency.
The design allowed for:
- 34°F refrigerated dock with 55 positions, ambient dock with 40 positions, and salvage dock with 24 positions
- Dry storage, 55°F/34°F coolers, -10°F freezer, and pressurized banana ripening rooms
- Central ammonia refrigeration, battery charging, and handling operation
- Truck maintenance, washing, and fueling facility
- Guardhouse, operations office, and employee amenities hub
- Pedestrian bridge separating employee and visitor auto traffic from truck traffic
Harris Teeter is a supermarket chain that operates over 240 retail stores in seven states and the District of Columbia—as well as grocery, frozen food, and perishable distribution centers. In 2013 Harris Teeter became a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Kroger Company, the largest supermarket chain and second-largest general retailer in the United States.
Along with the King George distribution center, Food Tech and Harris Teeter have worked together on a variety of high-end projects across the Carolinas and Virginia.