Wegmans Food Markets - Pottsville, PA
After deciding to enter the Mid-Atlantic region, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. (Wegmans) required a significant expansion to their network of retail and distribution facilities. Wegmans’ aggressive construction program included plans for a new grocery distribution center. Thanks to their expertise in facility planning and management, Food Tech was selected to lead the design-build project.
Food Tech began by pinpointing a distribution center near Harrisburg, PA, where a team of logistics engineers performed site-selection services to help Wegmans determine the ideal location for the plant. A 100-acre tract in Pottsville was chosen, and master site planning was utilized to develop a strategy for a future full-line distribution center with dry groceries, perishables, and frozen foods.
The completed 125,000-square-foot facility features cutting-edge industrial engineering and advanced material handling design. Facility sizing decisions were made based upon pick and reserve slot requirements, which helped optimize the flow of labor and materials. Additionally, Food Tech offered cold storage construction expertise, including the installation of a highly efficient ammonia refrigeration system, to give the facility precise control over multiple temperature and humidity zones.
During the project, Food Tech delivered the following:
- Logistics engineering, site selection, and master site planning services
- Material handling design and facility sizing for increased efficiency
- Multi-temperature and humidity zones
- Pressurized banana ripening rooms
- Double-sided docks for shipping and receiving
- 5,000-square-foot security building
- 20,000-square-foot employee amenity building with overhead bridges to warehouse and docks
- Cold storage construction featuring an ammonia refrigeration central system
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a privately held American supermarket chain and retail grocery distributor. Founded in 1916, Wegmans has built a reputation for providing high-quality products, excellent service, and outstanding customer satisfaction to the Northeast.