Having designed Harris Teeter’s original Greensboro, NC distribution center, Food Tech was able to provide a cost-efficient 40,000-square-foot expansion.
Additionally, because of our expertise in logistics planning and material handling design, Harris Teeter selected us to help locate, design, master plan, and construct a new 650,000-square-foot distribution center in Virginia.
Harris Teeter needed to expand their 200,000-square-foot grocery distribution center in Greensboro, NC to meet increased demand from their retail stores. They also needed to further expand their overall retail base by building a cutting-edge grocery distribution center to serve the entire Mid-Atlantic region.
For the Greensboro, NC facility expansion, we provided:
- Architectural design and engineering
- Expanded ammonia refrigeration central system
- 28°F meat cooler
- 34°F dairy and deli cooler
- 35°F dairy cooler (convertible to future floral coolers)
- Rooftop penthouse refrigeration units
- Additional battery charging stations
As part of our site selection services for Harris Teeter’s new King George, VA facility, we used projected store zip codes and ton/mile equations to perform a logistic analysis and determine a distribution centroid. We then compared multiple properties with estimated development costs, and conducted a business location study to determine incentives and labor availability.
Our solutions for this new facility included:
- Refrigerated dock with 55 positions
- Ambient dock with 40 positions
- Salvage dock with 24 positions
- Dry storage
- 55°F/34°F coolers
- -10°F freezer
- Pressurized banana ripening rooms
- Central ammonia refrigeration
- Battery charging stations
- Material handling equipment
- Truck maintenance, washing, and fueling facility
- Three-story operations office
- Employee amenities hub
- Pedestrian bridge
Harris Teeter operates more than 240 retail supermarkets in seven states and Washington, D.C., as well as grocery, frozen food, and perishable distribution centers.